Skip to main content

Five of My Top Ten Greatest Novels


Five of My Top Ten Greatest Novels

I recently joined a community on Google+ called "The 100 Greatest Novels of All Time". The moderator,  +Brandon Toropov suggested we post our Top Ten Greatest Novels of All Time List.

There are so many great books that I haven't yet read. There are so many authors that I have read that deserve to be mentioned and that I haven't chosen to be on my list (Tolstoy, Twain, James, A. Huxley, Orwell, Austen, Faulkner, J.F. Cooper, Koestler, Conrad, Kipling). Some of the authors whose works I chose had other novels to choose from for my list: Dostoevsky -- “the Bothers Karamazov” and “The Idiot”, Steinbeck -- “Of Mice and Men”, Tolkien -- “The Hobbit”, Hemmingway -- “A Farewell to Arms”, Bronte “Wuthering Heights”. I could go on and on for these authors.

The novels I have chosen have altered my views about life or influenced my worldview in some way.

Top Ten Greatest Novels
  1. Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird 
  2. Fyodor Dostoevsky - Crime and Punishment 
  3. Charles Dickens - Great Expectations 
  4. Nathaniel Hawthorne - The Scarlet Letter 
  5. Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre 
  6. John Steinbeck - The Grapes of Wrath 
  7. Ernest Hemingway - The Sun Also Rises 
  8. Frank Herbert - Dune 
  9. J. R. R Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings 
  10. Herman Melville - Moby Dick 
I share the reasons why I have picked five of these novels in the section below.

1. To Kill a Mockingbird captures a small town in the rural South wrestling with racism, morality, prejudice, child-rearing, single-parenting, the effects of one man standing against insurmountable odds for what is right, and the importance of a father's influence. I’ve read this book many times and it still moves me each time, as does the film adaptation, starring Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch. It’s as faithful to the book as any movie has ever been.

2. Crime and Punishment, set in 19th century Russia, the book reveals the inner depravity and evil of which humans are capable. The main character, Raskolinkov decides to kill a woman who is a pawnbroker. His poverty and her worthlessness, in his mind, are reasons for killing her. He hopes to lift himself and others out of trouble with her money. The effects of poverty, materialism, and redemption through suffering are explored. Raskolnikov’s nihilistic worldview espouses the philosophy that there is no mind or soul outside the physical world. Also, the rule of happiness is whatever is better for the larger group at the expense of the individual). Nihilism is a widespread philosophy in our world today.

3. Great Expectations follows the main character, an orphan named Pip, through the twists and turns of his life in Victorian England. There are many colorful characters in the novel which adds greatly to this work. The novel displays how choices made at one point in our lives can have long-lasting effects throughout our lives. It also caused me to reflect on what assumptions I make about life as Pip made assumptions about his life.

4. The Scarlet Letter left a great impression on me concerning the implications of sin on the individual and society. Set in Puritan New England during the years of 1642 to 1649. Hester Prynne has a child as a result of an adulterous affair. The book explores the response of society to her choices. It discusses the themes of nature, humanity and religion and their interaction.

5. Jane Eyre thoroughly and completely captivated me when I first read it. Charlotte Bronte’s novel created several powerful effects on me as I read it. The first person narration gave me a point of view from a female character I had not experienced before. Her thought processes, emotional life, hopes, dreams, love and hardships transported and introduced me to the feminine perspective of life in a way that I had not heretofore experienced. The journal or confessional style drew me deeply into her life. I did not fall in love with Jane Eyre but I wanted to help her, to intervene for her and to help her fulfill her hopes and dreams.


In addition the English social structure presented in Jane Eyre interested and somewhat repelled me as I read the novel. The fact that she published the work under the pen name Currer Bell reflects the glaring inequality of women and goes right to the heart of the female’s place in 19th century literature. The role of women in during this period fascinated me and caused me to ponder the progress that had been made in the treatment of women. Their societal roles as well as their ability to write and publish literature amazed me. Ms Bronte’s novel impelled and compelled me to read other Gothic genre works including Wuthering Heights by her sister Emily (Ellis Bell) and the novels of Jane Austen.


What books that you have read have left an impact on you? Have you ever considered what books you have read might be in your list of top ten or top one hundred books? Maybe your list would include books from the list that  +Brandon Toropov  suggested as a guide or an example was from the following link:

The 100 greatest novels of all time: The list

If you take the time to contemplate your list, please take the time to share them with me. Maybe you would be interested in joining the Google+ community called "The 100 Greatest Novels of All Time". In any event, I look forward to your thoughts and comments about my list and any list you would like to make.

© 2013 ajwrites57
A Long

If you enjoyed this article, please visit my writing website on Hubpages.

What Makes Great Novels Great? 

Photo of books: By rezdora70 libri11.jpg











Comments

  1. Definitely, #1, #4, and #5 are attractive to me! I read books that story the lifestyle of people from different culture and most of the books I read are non-fiction. Just got myself a book entitle Indira Gandhi from parents as they just got back from India! I will definitely review some of the good books I have in my collection, most of them are stories based on Middle-East culture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jasveena, thanks for reading and commenting! I'm trying blog about what I know and that includes the fiction I that has pleased me. I've read a lot of non-fiction including many biographies and autobiographies. I don't know a lot about Indira Gandhi but form what I do know, she was a remarkable person. Maybe you are styling yourself after her based on some of the content of your posts (abortion, voting rights, role of males)? Keep on posting! Thanks again for stopping by! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just knew that she was the former Prime Minister! Haha. My bad. I'm just learning about her. So, here I am with the best books I have read so far.
    1) Things I Want My Daughters To Know:
    This book features the message a mother left for her daughters before her demise due to cancer. I was deeply moved by this book as it portrays the love and care a mother has for her children! A fiction book
    2) Burned Alive
    Non-fiction. I love this book and the story! This is about an attempt for honour-killing in the Middle East and how the lady finally escaped the murder attempt.
    3) Mayada: Daughter Of Iraq
    Non-fiction. This story took place while Saddam was still ruling. It's about how higher authorities infringe human rights and how women suffer behind the bars! Horrible true story!
    4) Heroin of The Desert
    Non-fiction. A story about a woman who travels from one place to another helping women and children to come out of their problems in Muslim countries! Very bold and daring character!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jasveena, thanks for sharing your best books with me. The theme of women, women's rights and human rights are common to all of them. On your blog, you take up these themes. I wish you all the best in finding your voice and using it positively for these causes. Again, thanks for reading and commenting and sharing your book choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ops! Yeah, I think I somehow get drawn to books with these themes. But books from Middle East are just fascinating! Thank you for your wishes!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stephen King’s “What Writing Is”

On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft    “What Writing Is” I have written an article in another Blog summarizing several sections in Stephen King's book. This article is about another section of his intriguing book. Stephen King’s “What Writing Is” 4. What Writing Is —pp.103-107 Stephen King suggests: “Telepathy, of course.” Writing is telepathy. Telepathy is defined as “the transmission of information from one person to another without using any of our known sensory channels or physical interaction.” In modern fiction and science fiction, many superheroes and super-villains are endowed with telepathic abilities. The term was coined in 1882 by the classical scholar Frederic W. H. Myers, a founder of the Society for Psychical Research, and has remained more popular than the earlier expression thought-transference. (Wikipedia) Writing about telepathy, King suggests that we are “downstream on the time-line”. We are in the here-and-now and as he writes from the past, he

Christmas Day is here!

Christmas Day is here! Christmas toys assemble, little armies in strict array Christmas days tremble with memory's magic display Christmas ways resemble lost youth's joyous play Christmas snow remembers forgotten childhood days Christmas tinsel twinkles with the blinking colored lights Christmas memories sparkle in the yellow candlelight  Christmas tears sprinkle on the lonely winter nights Christmas years dwindle as they amble out of sight Christmas morn' sends Santa down the warm chimley, there Christmas morn' brings Jesus in the cold wood manger, dear Christmas morn' rings soundly, filled with festive cheer Christmas morn' sings loudly: Christmas Day is here! © 2014 ajwrites57 A Long ❤ ❤ ❤ Merry Christmas Card:  By Souvenir Post Card Company, New York (eBay front back) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons Soldier Image:  Brownie in Christmas Land by Marian Jack, 1922 via open clipar

old friends

old friends searched online for former friends surprised to see untimely ends friends, their spouses, moms and dads sad to see the deaths they had the inexorable tick and tock of time, leads us all to fields, sublime through twisting, turning hands of fate, soon we'll all be known as "late" years roll on, time is passed no one knows how long it lasts each life is counted out by days as friends we oft go separate ways friend's faces show the lines of age as each one turns his separate page fools fleeting time waits for no man eighty years our lives may span so count your days with special care for who knows how, who knows where our beating hearts will one day stop find old friends before they drop © 2014 ajwrites57 A Long ❤ ❤ ❤ Image adapted:  By SDRandCo via morguefile.com