Skip to main content

About Writing Poetry






About Writing Poetry

These are the fellow writers and poets with whom I have discussed poetry in the past several months. I recommend reading their blogs or follow their posts for interesting content.  +Adrianna Joleigh +Glendon Perkins +Cherie Ambrose +Steven Malone +Sandi Brower +Kay Leez +Justin Michael Schmidt +Jose Cervantes +Aura Burrows +Yolanda Isabel Regueira Marin    (If I have neglected to mention your name, please forgive me and let me know and I will correct the error!)

  • I thought I'd share some of the advice I have shared or thoughts I have recorded concerning how I write my poems or what poetry writing is to me. In no way do I feel that I'm an expert, but I thought I'd share these with you all. Some of these points are from exchanges I've had with some of you about writing poems; you may recognize the comments.
  • I found several poems from long ago and reworked them. That's how I got back into writing poems. I have so many bits of poems in folders that I take out and play with and try to finish them. 
  • Some I write a poem in minutes. Some may take days or weeks. I wake up with phrase or small bits of poems from my dreams. 
  • Sometimes words just pop out. It has been like this since last December. I wrote a poem for a friend that had died and before that one I wrote a poem about a year before that. Since then, I have written so many more. Once you get into the flow and get started they will come!
  • In my opinion, finding the right words is important all writing, but especially poetry. I try to discover shades and nuances of meaning that suggest different images for the same idea. I try to reach that point in my writing. In the end, I go with what I "feel" will communicate my meaning. Sometimes I’ll begin writing, like a free-write or stream of conscious and sometimes it ends up being a poem.
  • Poems sometimes leave me wanting more when I write them. 
  • Poems can be fulfilling, but yet, at times, not so much. At times the feeling from reading a poem hums in the background, like white noise. Yes, when I read a poem, I feel odd too, like it's not the end of the story but part of it.
  • Poems should draw you in, give you something unexpected and leave you wanting more. Often, I will write a poem in response to a poem or comments someone makes. I see that my writing at times prompts others to write something along the lines of what I post. They rarely tell me, but when I read it, I'm pretty sure they wrote along the lines of my poem. I think that what good writing does: it inspires.

  • When I hear a phrase on TV or a song or novel I write it down and then create a poem from it.
  • I just try to have fun sometimes when I write. I let the words flow!
  • Try writing a little story to lead up to the poem. I don't always recommend it because it can take away from the poem or story or both, but I have done it several times. See "unsown" on my blog.
  • I do this with my poetry as a rule: I have many bits or half finished or almost complete poems and I let them sit and when I feel it I go back and work on them or finish them. Then I let them sit. Then when I feel I am done with or have squeezed the life into them, I publish to my blogs.
  • Play with the form or style. I do it with the same poem on the same page.
  • I’ll say them out loud. I make copies of the poems and make them rhyme or I write them in complete sentences. In doing this, you might be able to go deeper, expressing more depth of emotion.
  • I am sometimes asked for advice on writing poems in general or on specific poems. I advise the person to feel free to accept or reject the ideas! I just offer my opinion. I truly humbled by someone asking my advice.
  • Yes, in the end, you need to go with your feelings.

© 2013 ajwrites57
A Long
❤ ❤ ❤

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stephen King’s “What Writing Is”

On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft    “What Writing Is” I have written an article in another Blog summarizing several sections in Stephen King's book. This article is about another section of his intriguing book. Stephen King’s “What Writing Is” 4. What Writing Is —pp.103-107 Stephen King suggests: “Telepathy, of course.” Writing is telepathy. Telepathy is defined as “the transmission of information from one person to another without using any of our known sensory channels or physical interaction.” In modern fiction and science fiction, many superheroes and super-villains are endowed with telepathic abilities. The term was coined in 1882 by the classical scholar Frederic W. H. Myers, a founder of the Society for Psychical Research, and has remained more popular than the earlier expression thought-transference. (Wikipedia) Writing about telepathy, King suggests that we are “downstream on the time-line”. We are in the here-and-now and as he writes from the past, he

old friends

old friends searched online for former friends surprised to see untimely ends friends, their spouses, moms and dads sad to see the deaths they had the inexorable tick and tock of time, leads us all to fields, sublime through twisting, turning hands of fate, soon we'll all be known as "late" years roll on, time is passed no one knows how long it lasts each life is counted out by days as friends we oft go separate ways friend's faces show the lines of age as each one turns his separate page fools fleeting time waits for no man eighty years our lives may span so count your days with special care for who knows how, who knows where our beating hearts will one day stop find old friends before they drop © 2014 ajwrites57 A Long ❤ ❤ ❤ Image adapted:  By SDRandCo via morguefile.com

Five of My Top Ten Greatest Novels

Five of My Top Ten Greatest Novels I recently joined a community on Google+ called "The 100 Greatest Novels of All Time". The moderator,   +Brandon Toropov  suggested we post our Top Ten Greatest Novels of All Time List. There are so many great books that I haven't yet read. There are so many authors that I have read that deserve to be mentioned and that I haven't chosen to be on my list (Tolstoy, Twain, James, A. Huxley, Orwell, Austen, Faulkner, J.F. Cooper, Koestler, Conrad, Kipling). Some of the authors whose works I chose had other novels to choose from for my list: Dostoevsky -- “the Bothers Karamazov” and “The Idiot”, Steinbeck -- “Of Mice and Men”, Tolkien -- “The Hobbit”, Hemmingway -- “A Farewell to Arms”, Bronte “Wuthering Heights”. I could go on and on for these authors. The novels I have chosen have altered my views about life or influenced my worldview in some way. Top Ten Greatest Novels Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird  Fyodor Dostoevsky -